Monday, November 29, 2010

I found Nemo at the Reef!

 Weekend trip #2... complete.
All 10 of us girls caught a late Friday night flight to Cairns. By the time of our arrival, we just relaxed at the Colonial Club resort poolside cafe. Saturday morning quickly approached, I grabbed a banana and some orange juice at the gift shop and hopped on our tour bus. Took an hour and a half bus ride to Port Douglas where we boarded an hour and a half boat ride out to the Great Barrier Reef!!

Lets just say... the reef definitely deserves to be one of the seven world wonders. A lunch buffet was provided then we put on the attractive snorkeling gear including the flippers, mask, and a stinger suit. For starters, I went out into the beautiful water with Kelsey and Jessica. Kelsey was an experienced snorkeler and was able to coach us along the way. Then she went back on the boat and Jessica and I endured the waters together. After about an hour, it was time for a break! Some girls paid more money to go further out with a tour guide however I decided I still had plenty to explore in the area. I snorkeled for another hour or so and saw some breathtaking coral and fishes. We purchased an under the water camera that we'll develop back in the states. And no, it doesn't look exactly like Finding Nemo and other media productions, as they enhance the colors but it is still a marvelous sight down there.

Here are a few interesting facts about the Great Barrier Reef:
-2,300 km long
-Started forming half a million years ago
-Current state of the reef is 8,000-10,000 years old
-Reef grows 3cm every 100 years
-350 hard coral species, 100-200 soft coral species


It was finally time to venture back home on the boat and bus. Thankfully, I had no issues feeling sea sick! While the other girls rushed to go out for the night, Kelsey Jessica and I were very content ordering in a Dominoes pizza (2 larges to be exact, roughly the size of 1 large in the states). Sunday morning, we checked out of the hotel and took the hotel city shuttle. With Lauren, we walked all over the city and sat down for a lovely lunch along the boardwalk. Jessica and I final experienced the popular weekend Australian markets. It was beyond packed! After some more street and mall shopping, we caught up with the rest of the group, bused to the airport, 2 hour plane ride, and a taxi cab back to the Medina... and excitedly cleaned up and got a good night's rest. Just in time to wake up again in a few hours and start our last week teaching in Brisbane.

1 comment:

  1. Your post tonight brought up an interesting debate btw Marty and me about how old the earth is. :). Already your last week of teaching... that was fast.

    ReplyDelete