More updates from Whites Hill... I keep having to remind myself that this is the end of their school year. Some differences I've noticed so far, swim class, religion class (the students prayed and heard a Bible story about Elijah... this is a state public school), 20 minute daily morning tea times, and an hour long lunch breaks.
During today's lunch break, Kelsey, Jessica, and I had the privilege of completing the vegemite challenge. Vegemite is yeast extract, salt, and a bunch of other things I probably don't want to know about. Oh and they threw some Cheesybite onto the sandwich as well. Its a popular spread, especially for toast, but its definitely not as delightful for foreigners. The other teachers found lots of laughter and joy in our suffering. But we completed the challenge and got tiaras and chocolate as our rewards. And today in English class, I learned that "Happy Little Vegemites" is an Australian colloquialism for happy kids, also a song played on the vegemite commerical.
I administered the spelling tests today, my teacher only had to help the students out on about 5 of the 50 words because of my accent. Then in the afternoon my teacher gave me the rest of the day to teach the kids. So I decided to start the process of them writing letters back to my American students. They loved doing this! They were entertained by the American letters and were excited to write about their Australian life. Next week we'll begin to teach them more about the states and Thanksgiving. But for now, I'll enjoy my Friday with an afternoon full of “Sport” class before I leave with the whole group off to the Gold Coast by train!
i want to hear more about tea time!! hilarious!
ReplyDelete