Sunday, November 14, 2010

Kangaroos and Koalas

Australian tid bits... lifts are elevators, people are very friendly and love to dress up (they like it short), the Morning Show is like the one in New York, grilled cheese (I'll probably make at least 1 a day) is a hot toastie, theres at least 3 versions of futbul (yet none are like American grid iron), cricket can last 3 hours, 1 day, or 5 days. A 5 day match is a “test match” and they play everyday 10am to 5pm. Speaking of sports... sad day for my bears. Kelsey and I purchased internet access for the day in our apartment just to listen to the game. I will say that the bears were doing just fine and winning the whole time we were listening till we left for the koala sanctuary. And I had forgotten it was winter for ya'll till I saw some pictures from the game and pi phi firedance. Brrrr
Kelsey and I started our day with a lovely morning run along the boardwalk. The weather is perfect here and the boardwalk is beautiful, lots of people were out. But have I mentioned everything occurs on the left here. You walk on the left side of the sidewalk, drive on the left on the road (yet steer from the passengers side), go up the escalators on the left, etc etc. This is taking me a while to remember

Our first whole group trip was to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary this afternoon. Although I'm not a huge animal lover, the koalas and kangaroos were pretty cute. It was weird to just walk straight up to the kangaroos. The koalas were a little more protected as we paid money to take a picture with one. They have displays of famous people posing with their koalas, we found a fellow bear pictured, Michael Johnson.

Tomorrows our first day of school! Side note... I was recently told by an Australian student that there's a Baskin Robbins located down the road from my school... guess I wont be losing weight here after all. If I cant have peppermints, I might as well treat myself to some mint choc. chip ice cream. Goodbye for now, we're off to Subway for dinner. Friends in the apt lobby- Jessica, Kelsey, Me, Kasey, and Sarah Beth.
 

2 comments:

  1. You REALLY DID HOLD A KOALA!!!!! I was walking around the mall on Friday afternoon holding Aliza just like that! Except my pashmina was wrapped around her! I kept telling everyone she was my little koala and then she said, "shhh!! Koalas don't talk!!!" Did your koala say that to you?!?! I'm just wondering if it's a normal thing... Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deedles! I love reading your blog! I miss you!! Sam says hi! You're the best!!! Love you! And praying for you! Trish

    ReplyDelete